Food Service Regional Sales Manager
- No Comments
Title: FoodService Regional Sales Manager
Location: Alameda, CA
Reports to: Vice President of Strategy
Checkerspot is a biotechnology company that designs high performance ingredients and materials for a better planet. Our Wing™ platform enables our biology and design labs to develop, test, and commercialize new, award-winning products that reduce global dependence on unsustainable sources of oil and other fossil fuels. We build brands that engage directly with consumers and show what is possible with biobased products in food, nutrition, personal care, and outdoor recreation.
We seek an experienced, driven and creative sales person to be our first Foodservice Regional Sales Manager, driving business in the SF Bay Area. This is an exciting opportunity requiring high energy, a keen understanding of and established relationships with the local restaurant & foodservice industry and the ability to build trusting relationships with customers & partners.
Our company culture can best be understood through experience. We’d like to be known more by what we do than what we say.
As our Regional Sales Manager you are the first point of contact and outward face of Checkerspot for new and potential customers. You are also our eyes and ears in the market helping us understand and respond to customer needs and market changes. As a result, you will be expected to:
● Work with our initial restaurant partners to gather learnings, deepen our understanding of buyer needs & potential objections and establish proof points & case studies
● Drive new, qualified ordering accounts post-launch by introducing new customers to our product, addressing their questions & concerns and selling them on our mission & the value of our offering
● Generate revenue from new and existing customers to drive rapid growth
● Deliver product samples (and larger orders if necessary) to ensure customer access to our product as we launch and scale
● Ensure new customers incorporate our product into their menus and help address issues both proactively and as they come up
● Continuously update our CRM to ensure we can report back to internal stakeholders on your progress, learnings and success
● Gather detailed customer feedback as required and provide it back to the Checkerspot team to improve our go to market approach
● Generate referrals from customers to drive leads for new business
● Partner with marketing to gather case studies and testimonials
● Drive your personal vehicle to customer accounts, company meetings, etc.
● And other duties as assigned
KEY REQUIREMENTS, DESIRED SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
To thrive in this role, you will need:
● Experience selling new products into restaurants and foodservice operators
● To sell a vision, not just a list of benefits and can inspire others to join our mission
● A clear passion for food, hospitality, and building community across the food industry
● Emotional intelligence, positive attitude, and the ability to work constructively through challenging situations
● A growth mindset – you are curious, seek help from others, openly accept feedback, and capitalize on setbacks to move forward more effectively
● Excellent networking skills: you have a knack for building rapport with new people and finding valuable connections to help advance the company’s goals
PRIOR EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS:
The experience and qualifications below should help prepare someone to succeed in this role. However, at Checkerspot, we recognize no one is perfect and seek to build a team of varied experiences & backgrounds. As a result, we encourage you to apply even if you feel you may not meet all of the criteria below if you feel you have the abilities listed above.
Experiences that we believe will help set you up for success in this role include:
● 5+ years experience building relationships with and selling into trend-forward restaurants, foodservice operators, distributors and brokers
● Experience as a natural communicator; both written and spoken – experience creating and giving client presentations is a must
● A proven track record of achieving and exceeding sales targets
● Ability to travel daily by car within a ~2 hour drive from San Francisco as needed
● A bias towards action – you have an entrepreneurial mentality, can make and own your own decisions, and you adopt a mentality of grit, action, and accountability
● Requires US work authorization
● Must live in SF Bay area
● Needs to be comfortable lifting and carrying a ~35lb weight short distances (e.g. 100ft)
At Checkerspot, base pay is one part of our total compensation package and is determined within a range. This provides the opportunity as you grow and develop within a role. The base pay for this role is between $90,000 and $125,000 and your base pay will depend on your skills, qualifications, experience and location.
Checkerspot offers its employees a competitive benefits and compensation package. Checkerspot is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion,
gender, sexual orientation, national origin, genetic information, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected basis.
Please send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com to